Thursday, February 26, 2009

For The Love of Ash

Since it is written in the playbill that Peter Martin’s Ash is my favorite ballet, I thought I should say a few words.  Ever since we debuted Ash two years ago, I have been waiting eagerly for Christopher to bring it back into our repertoire.


Ash is one of those ballets that charges up your spirit, while at the same time taking every ounce of energy out of your body.  It requires a high level of physical endurance, which is why I had to start taking a spin class at the gym twice a week to prepare.  From the moment the curtain rises, the incredible Michael Torke music propels the dancers back and forth across the stage, gaining momentum until the end, fifteen minutes later.  Mia and I were talking about how this ballet feels like such a journey to get through.  Even though the ballet is not very long, a lot of mental strength is required to make it to the end.  Just convincing your muscles to keep going is more than half the battle.  But, as a dancer, the satisfaction comes in being victorious in the end.


I’m getting to perform Ash in every show, so not only is it keeping me in pretty good shape, but it gives me the opportunity to perform with different casts of dancers.  At times, I begin to feel like the eye of the storm, and I gain an interesting perspective as I see the mood of a performance change with new dancers in the role.


It’s been such a thrill getting to experience Ash again, and if you haven’t, you only have two more chances to do so.  And if, when you see me on stage, I look like I’m having the time of my life, now you know why.


-Brian

1 comment:

  1. Brian! This post is so thrilling! I always enjoy watching you in Ash...and every ballet you dance as well. I know you are having the time of your life!

    I had no idea you are taking spinning classes! I bet it is so intense! No wonder you take the stage by storm! :D

    See you in class and amazing job so far! ♥

    ReplyDelete